WTK has a team of trial lawyers experienced in a variety of healthcare litigation matters. Our team has handled numerous cases related to healthcare issues, including claims involving hospitals, physicians and third party administrators. The complexity of cases handled range from multi-million dollar cases involving billing disputes and termination of physicians, to numerous billing or payment disputes, that range from several thousand dollars to several hundred thousand dollars at issue. WTK has had success in arbitrations, trials, and with many motions to dismiss or motions for summary judgment.
WTK represents healthcare providers and other managed care organizations in all areas of litigation, including utilization review, medical necessity, “failure to refer,” adverse selection, coordination of benefits issues, negligent case management claims, coverage disputes, enrollee discrimination or transfer, fair process claims and managed care contracting.
Our healthcare team has also represented healthcare clients in commercial disputes, business litigation, and employment matters.
Representative Matters and Experience:
- Successfully handled a large multiple party trial involving contract reformation and breach of contract claims and allegations of millions of dollars in damages for the underpayment of medical services.
- Successfully defended a healthcare client against a multi-million dollar “fair process” claim related to the termination of an orthopedic surgeon.
- Argued successfully at the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal and affirmed the complete dismissal of the “fair process” claim by the District Court.
- WTK’s attorneys successfully pursued a breach of contract claim on behalf of a national hospital concerning unsuccessful acquisition.
- Successfully defended PPO networks against failure to timely refer patient for care.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a national PPO network on interference with contract and economic advantage claims by a competing network.
- WTK’s healthcare lawyers routinely handle arbitrations on behalf of managed care organizations concerning provider reimbursement issues and payor disputes.